Sunday, May 9, 2010

lack of respect

This is in response to the prompt by Mrs. Jorgensen.

First of all, I believe that a lack of motivation, disrespect to authority, and not playing by the rules are three entirely separate things.

However,
I do believe that sometimes one will trigger another, or that some of them are constantly being intertwined.

For one thing, I believe that Holden has a fixed and firm belief in his mind about what real authority is, and how it should be respected. If a person doesn't fit his predetermined image of what an authority figure should be like, he could care less about what that person thinks or wants him to do (Thurmer). However, if Holden respects another person, he'll at least be a little humble, and will at least listen to what they have to say (Mr. Spencer).

I believe that Holden definitely has a lack of motivation for things that the general public sees as important to a person's life, but he doesn't for things that he feels are important. Or else if he feels something is important that he's doing he'll do it in his own unique way, leaving it open for criticism from the general public (the essay on the baseball mitt).

I definitely believe that this applies to today, mainly because a lot of the people who fit this description don't know how much they have compared to other people in the world, and there for take things for granted because its not their first option of what they want to do... so fine. If my classmates want to waste their life and opportunities away and end up flipping burgers at McDonalds the rest of their life, so be it (no offense Charlie).

In my own opinion the only way that these issues can be counteracted are if more people are exposed more and learn how much they really have can't be taken for granted. I'm always mildly disgusted by people like this who don't do anything with their life and have no excuse for it. But that's just my personal opinion.

I'm not one of those people.


3 comments:

  1. I really like the way that you wrote this, Megan! It works well with the formatting that you put in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm not one of those people."
    No you are not, Megan! :) You really put Holden and the rest of the slackers in the world into perspective, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete