Tuesday, May 11, 2010

something along the lines of the godfather....

THE FAMILY.

Holden's family is unique and has influenced him in many ways. And not all of them are good!

Holden mentions his family when he's talking about how he's really a "spendthrift" at heart, or else he looses money. The way he talks about his family he doesn't seem to connect with them, and feels a pretty "whatever" vibe from all of them, or concerning all of them. And yes, it is very consistant with the previous chapters.


I think what he means when he talks about this is that he's moved on from his family. He talks about them as if he knew them ages ago and doesn't seem to connect emotionally with them. For instance when he says, "my mother hasn't felt too healthy since Allie died," he says it without emotion, as opposed to, "my poor mother... she hasn't felt too great since Allie died."


I find this intriguing to say the least. I think that this just fits his uncaring character-it just shows that he really doesn't think of things like other people do. I think his thoughts can simply be described as Holden's thoughts. Not any other way. He is genuinely unique.

I think that J.D. Salinger included this in his book because he wanted to show that not everyone was supposed to care like the others do, and that all thought processes are truly unique. I think that they influence the impact of Holden's character to the readers, and make it more defined in the book.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea, but I'm not sure that I agree. I think that maybe Holden was so isolated from the grief he got from the loss of his brother at such a young age and that because of this he doesn't feel like he connects with anyone, including his family. do you think Holden is right when he talks about this stuff? or are they just his thoughts and therefore they cannot be
    "right" or "wrong"?

    ReplyDelete